Sunday 21 October 2007

Odds

It is starting to feel I update this blog on odd days. It is merely accidental. I write when I feel I have something to say. And if I ever get a steady audience I'll feel an obligation to do this regularly.
Today (the even day before this one) I spent all afternoon at the Students Union's bar\pub. I like to write feeling and hearing life go on around me. I can even see different cultures pass by. Just as the pseudo-rappers with their headphones pouring their music out so loud I cannot imagine how their ear drums are still in working conditions. And they have a walk: A limp chimp shielding its genitals with its hands. Maybe it's an inner hear malfunction.
Then there's the billiards people. They usually get one pint and let it sit there at table's side for hours while they play on those ridiculously sized tables with a green woolly bed cover for a table cloth. It does look cosy.
But today the stars were the most-likely-bet-their-entire-students-loan-on-weekend-football guys. Everyone in that fairly large but rather empty room had to sit through an afternoon of a TV program that kept bouncing from match to match, rarely seeing any pitch or ball at all. Don't think I do not enjoy my football. I'm Portuguese. But they only followed the results, excruciating change in result after the other in every top league in the UK. Even not-so-top leagues. It is a good example of annoying television. And the guys siting almost directly beneath the big screen almost reached their climaxes now and then. They were probably following about ten results. Each. I sincerely hope they didn't lose their beer money.
In the evening I watched the Rugby World Cup final with a South-Africa born Portuguese. He was happy in the end and I had watched a dull rugby match. And I usually really enjoy rugby.
This was my day. Not the odd one.

2 comments:

GoEThe said...

'ear drums' not 'hear drums'. The 'ear' is what you 'hear' with.

Gonçalo Taipa Teixeira said...

Thank you. It has been corrected.